If I were stranded on a desert island with five characters…
As I was sitting here, thinking up topics to write about, the idea of desert island came to mind. And not your average choice of book or movie, but a writer’s version. Such as if I could be stranded with five fictional characters, who would they be and why. Care to join me on my adventure?
- First character to come to mind is Katniss Everdeen. Having a badass chic who can hunt on my desert island seems as logical as they come. I am a girly girl. I don’t like camping. I can barely handle a hike for longer than an hour. I do best, let’s say, in the city; walking, shopping, sipping coffee, reading, writing. I know nothing about survival. Which means, I’ll need an immediate lesson on all things do-it-yourself. Hunting? Check. Cleaning meat? Check. Finding water? Check. With Katniss’ help, I’ll become a Hunger Games survivor in no time.
- Second character? Gandalf. Yes. Of all the wizards out there, I’m choosing Gandalf. Mostly because he holds a special place in my heart. Lord of the Rings, after all, is my favorite story of all time. And having a strong, powerful, yet gentle guide on my island seems smart. Plus, he speaks wisdom as easily as breathing. Let’s not forget: “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.”
- I must say, this might be a bit of a bore, but my third character is one of the most loyal characters (IMHO) in all of fiction. Samwise Gamgee. I know, I know. Two characters from one story? Please. But come on. It’s Samwise! He stuck by Frodo through the worst of it, even when his best friend turned on him. Loyal; trustworthy; desert island must-have.
- Humor is a must in any situation, am I right? Which means, my fourth character has to be Barney Stinson. Yes, he’s crude. Yes, I cringe at a handful of the things he says but laugh at the other 90% of what comes out of his mouth. He. Is. Hilarious. “Ted, we can’t go to prison! People get shivved in the joint! Plus the meals are really starchy.” Case in point.
- And lastly? Toothless. It’s an odd one, I give you that. But a dog-like dragon? Who can protect me? Love me? And be my best bud? Heck. Yes. Plus, if I ever learn how to ride him, we’d all be out of there in a jiffy.
How about you? Who would your five fictional characters be? Leave ‘em in the comments section below!